Welcome!

Here at Don't Count On It Reviews, you can read reviews from different artists from different styles.
Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Moribond - The Wild Ride Demo (2011)


Band: Moribond
Country: Québec, Canada/Aurora, Illinois
Style: Doom Metal
Label: Depressive Illusions Records

Since my review of Heirdrain's last full-length, I've actually been in contact with him every once in a while. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this little demo of one of his new projects, but why not give it a shot. I haven't listened to all that many doom metal demos, so I was open for it.
I wasn't really sure about how this album was going to come across, since Heirdrain only performs vocals on here, with Kevin Burke handling the instrumentation. Surprisingly, this is very solid stuff for a demo, and it really impressed me. Within the title-track, The Wild Ride, there lies a lot of interesting ideas, while most of the track lies in a psychedelic doom style, the bridge really opens up into this stoner rock part, something that continues throughout the album. In fact, Wheel of Life is actually a pretty driving song compared to the other two on here and definitely had it's fare share of great melodies. When it comes to Heirdrain's vocals on these songs, I can honestly say that his performance was understated. It's not bad, his vocals are done in a more black metal rasp sort of way, but they are much lower in the mix.
In all honesty, this really blew me away, I did not expect so much out of this and it definitely grabbed me for it's entirety. Now, it's not mind-blowing, but the songwriting and riffing is very well written and structured. Definitely look into this if you like more stoner influenced doom metal.
Overall Score: 6
Highlights: Love Piece

No comments:

Post a Comment